Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, January 14, 2013

Four More Years? | The Forum for Education and Democracy

Four More Years? | The Forum for Education and Democracy:


Four More Years?

About this time four years ago I was on my way to Washington to watch the inauguration of Barack Obama.  I was looking forward to his administration, hoping that having Linda Darling-Hammond as the leader of his education transition team meant good things for public schools.
I have to say I have been disappointed.  While there have been some good things, there has been much to puzzle over.
I wonder why there has been so much support for Teach for America and so little support for teacher preparation and teachers in the classrooms.  I am not sure why Title 1 has become more of a competitive grant program with mountains of paperwork as opposed to the anti-poverty program it started out to be. And I cannot figure out why interest in