Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Grades Limit My Learning (Guest Post by Student Justin Strudler) « Cooperative Catalyst

Grades Limit My Learning (Guest Post by Student Justin Strudler) « Cooperative Catalyst:


Grades Limit My Learning (Guest Post by Student Justin Strudler)

Is this learning?
We all stress ourselves out to memorize the formulas. We all have had that cram night before the final. We all BS homework at the last second so as not to “get a zero”. We all use Spark Notes. We all discuss answers post-test.
I started writing my ideas about learning on My Blog. Like many of the people likely reading this post, I am a student, and my interest in education unfortunately comes out of frustration. From the time I was young, school was about grades, “good grades” to be more specific. Why? Well to get into a good college of course.
I believe learning and school can, and should be a lot more than what school has made it out to be. I find learning in many things, for instance, I enjoy arguing with pundits on the news and exploring the city of New York (My favorite place on earth). Experiences like these make my mind what it is, and I am thankful for all the