Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, September 22, 2012

A Week without Homework Challenge #aweekwithouthomework « Cooperative Catalyst

A Week without Homework Challenge #aweekwithouthomework « Cooperative Catalyst:


A Week without Homework Challenge #aweekwithouthomework

I’ve written before about my belief that homework is far more destructive than constructive. I don’t think it increases learning, adds to motivation or develops a strong work ethic. For a long time, I assigned homework out of a sense that I was “supposed to.” I never questioned it as a practice. After getting rid of it, I remained quiet on the topic. After watching my sons lose necessary playtime and learning time to do extra-duty schoolwork (mostly packets), I grew more vocal.
I want to see a change.
So, here’s how it works:
  • The concept: If you typically give homework, take one week off of assigning homework and see whether it