Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, July 16, 2012

How to Inspire Girls to Break the Media’s Spell | Maria Shriver | The Open Field Network

How to Inspire Girls to Break the Media’s Spell | Maria Shriver | The Open Field Network:


How to Inspire Girls to Break the Media’s Spell



During my self-esteem and body image workshops, I’ve had girls tell me they want to look like the size zero models in the magazines.
They truly believed it was their ‘want’ and their desire, until I explained how media can manipulate their thoughts the same way the “Imperius Curse” can make a person believe and do certain things.
What is the “Imperius Curse” you ask? It’s one of the Unforgivable Curses from the Harry Potter books and movies, and I have found that it is one sure-fire way to get girls to understand the power media can have over them.
With one simple pop-culture reference, shock and horror flash across kids’ faces, as