Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Failed DC Chancellor Michelle Rhee's Reality: Charter School Job Insecurity Leads to Tragedy | Crooks and Liars

Michelle Rhee's Reality: Charter School Job Insecurity Leads to Tragedy | Crooks and Liars:



7307492124_091f917608_n.jpg
Credit: mitco
Michelle Rhee loves charter schools. She hates teacher unions. She thinks teachers shouldn't have pensions, only 401k plans. She really, really loathes teacher tenure and is doing her very best to make sure teachers get no respect, have no long term career plans, and that they're divided on a generational basis. She's funded by lots of right-wingers, including Rupert Murdoch, who had the audacity to tweet this:
As far as I'm concerned, Rhee and Murdoch own this tragedy, via CoLab Radio.
I just quit my job as a teacher in an urban charter school. Even though I still don’t have another job and I support myself entirely, it is the best decision I ever made. It is especially liberating this week while my colleagues – and after five incredibly stressful years on the education front lines, my truly beloved friends – wait for the June 1 ax to fall.
Every June 1, the exhausted teachers and staff at my school learn whether they will be rehired for another grueling year. Last year the school gave 43 staff and teachers the you’re-outta-luck-pal letters, including the entire three-man physical education department and the student