Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Seattle Schools Community Forum: An Article of Note in Crosscut

Seattle Schools Community Forum: An Article of Note in Crosscut:


An Article of Note in Crosscut

I read an article in Crosscut this morning that was one of the more thought-provoking pieces I've seen about the state of Education Reform in Washington State. "Washington's new education initiative is no A+" by Alison Krupnick explored the wading pool depth of A+ Washington, the Education Reform initiative from Excellent Schools Now.

I find myself in a place very much like Ms Krupnick. I feel a great disconnect. In fact, I feel at least three great disconnects.
Like her, I support the four principles of A+ Washington:
  1. Expanding access to early learning,
  2. Excellent teachers and principals;
  3. Increasing college readiness; and
  4. Implementing flexible approaches to K-12 education that include accountability systems.
After all, who wouldn't support these things? I also support motherhood, the flag and apple pie. Like Ms