Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Why school should be funnier - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post

Why school should be funnier - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post:

Why school should be funnier

This was written by Mark Phillips, professor emeritus of secondary education at San Francisco State University. This was written for his blog on Edutopia, and he also publishes a monthly column on education for the Marin Independent Journal.

By Mark Phillips

When I first began teaching high school I had two students who sat near the front of the room and quietly laughed each day at the beginning of class. An “informer” told me that they were making bets regarding how often I’d nervously straighten my tie as class began. I could have admonished them for their laughter, but I thought this was very funny