Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Jersey Jazzman: The Reformy Dr. Steve Perry Show - Part III

Jersey Jazzman: The Reformy Dr. Steve Perry Show - Part III:

The Reformy Dr. Steve Perry Show - Part III

When we last left the very reformy Dr. Steve Perry, he was in the throes of a Twitter spasm, denigrating teachers while extolling his own moral superiority. In Part I and Part II of this series, I took a look at the student population of his school; turns out he has far fewer students in poverty at his magnet school than the neighborhood schools of Hartford surrounding him.

Sometimes, when I look at these celebrity reformy types, I have to dig deep to find out what they're all about. But not this time: it turns out Dr. Perry has been out pushing his brand across the country - hard. This past September, when most principals were up to their ears with the start of the school year, Perry was launching his book with a star-studded party; guests included Diddy, Chris Rock, Geoffrey Canada, and Joel Klein.

What has this man learned from hanging out with the stars?
I'm at a party and Kev Liles, I met him at the premiere of "Black in America 1." Soledad said