Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

School Tech Connect: Books Before Bytes

School Tech Connect: Books Before Bytes:

Books Before Bytes

I don't disagree with this, and I'm a huge tech fan. There's no reason why we can't have both. This blog is written on a $300 netbook running open source software; if anything in the world were ever scalable, it's this kind of thing.

I hate that word, by the way. Scalable. You know you're talking to someone who isn't actually working with kids when you hear the word scalable. Except when I use it of course.

Anyway, I'm a person who reads books, and I can tell this: the experience is qualitatively different from reading other things. Kids need to read a lot of books--- they need reading workshops, they need to be liberated from the