Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

On the beating of a former student of mine by the NYPD… « Outside the Cave

On the beating of a former student of mine by the NYPD… « Outside the Cave:

On the beating of a former student of mine by the NYPD…

If you’re in New York, you’ve undoubtedly heard by now about two cases of police brutality in the Bronx in the past couple weeks. In one incident, an 18 year old was shot while unarmed in his home. The other, is captured in the video below:

Popout

The young man that was savagely beaten by four Bronx cops was a student of mine for three years, and my advisee last year. The student who was killed also attended my old school, but I did not know him.

I’ve been trying to come up with something thoughtful or intelligent to say about this for a week now, and I just have nothing coherent to offer, probably because I’m of many minds here. The remaining parts of this writing are somewhat disconnected:

Do I share the outrage of these protestors? I do. Like them, I also know that neither are isolated incidents, but