Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, January 22, 2012

We Are the Present: Why Youth Voices are Necessary « Cooperative Catalyst

We Are the Present: Why Youth Voices are Necessary « Cooperative Catalyst:

We Are the Present: Why Youth Voices are Necessary

An education which denies the voices of youth can never benefit from their wisdom as to how to restructure it.

In many of the educational and teacher training programs I have been a part of, I’ve been frustrated by the intense focus given to preparing students for their academic futures (meaning standardized testing and ultimately college) while virtually none has been placed on creativity, question asking and critical thought. Indeed, if I were to take the training I had received from these programs at face value, I would understand my only duties as a