Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, January 30, 2012

Rita Solnet: an open letter to Michelle Rhee and Students First « Parents Across America

Rita Solnet: an open letter to Michelle Rhee and Students First « Parents Across America:

Rita Solnet: an open letter to Michelle Rhee and Students First

Sue Peters Profile Pic
This letter was written by Rita M. Solnet, one of the founders of Parents Across America, in response to a letter from Students First, asking her to support the so-called “Parent Empowerment Act,” a form of the Parent Trigger, which is really a stealth attack by charter industry to privatize our public schools. See the PAA position paper on the Parent Trigger,here and here for the overwhelming rejection of this proposal by Florida parent groups.
To: Jeri Powell, Students First Org; Michelle Rhee, Founder, Students First Org
I am a Florida parent and I am offended by this solicitation to sign your Students First.org petition (below) so that I can be “empowered” with Florida’s proposed legislation.
This bill no more empowers me than it does the gecko on my patio from taking over my