Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Some Thoughts on Teaching and Music (Kenneth Bernstein) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

Some Thoughts on Teaching and Music (Kenneth Bernstein) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice:


Some Thoughts on Teaching and Music (Kenneth Bernstein)

From his profile as a blogger at Daily Kos “Kenneth J. Bernstein is now proudly 65 years young, teacher in DC metro area, Quaker liberal – and still passionate about learning with his students.”
Some thoughts on teaching which were occasioned by a recent conversation where I was asked if I thought teaching more of an art rather than a science.  I responded that the question was a false frame, and was asked to explain.
My explanation comes in part from my background and formal education in music.
I think what we are seeing in education is neither art nor science, but the attempt to turn education into an engineering problem.  In engineering, it is of course important to have rigorous standards.  In manufacturing the