Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Daily Kos: I'm not sure how to title this

Daily Kos: I'm not sure how to title this:


I'm not sure how to title this

I am sitting in the waiting area at Penn Station in NYC, waiting for an 11:05 train home, after having boarded one in Union Station at 3:15 this morning for my day trip to Netroots New York, where I was on a panel about education.
I am thinking about New York, a city from which I moved 40 years ago, to which I return perhaps once or twice a year at most.
I'm thinking about what a city can be, sometimes despite its political leadership.
I was born in the city, and for the 1st two years of my life lived in Manhattan, but I grew up in Westchester County.  Still, even duirng those years through high school I knew the city well -  my grandparents lived in the San Remo on Central Park West.  We often came in for concerts and plays, and until I was in junior high school my father worked at the flagship Macy's -  where to get to his office I had to walk through the toy department,