Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Daily Kos: for me an unusual Saturday morning

Daily Kos: for me an unusual Saturday morning:


for me an unusual Saturday morning

I am totally disconnected from my normal tasks - grading papers, planning, doing house work.   Went to sleep at around 8 for 3.5 hours, then headed to Union Station to catch a 3:15 AM train to NYC for Netroots New York, where this afternoon I am leading a panel on privatization of education.
I dozed for most of the way up, so my biological clock is somewhat discombobulated, but that still does not prevent my normal process of Saturday morning reflection.  Only this morning it is different, and not merely because I write this sitting on the floor outside the auditorium where the opening plenary will occur, ostensibly within the hour.
We have a 3-day week starting Monday, before breaking for the holiday.  I really do not want to start a unit, break for 12 days, and expect my students to remember much when they come back.  So I am doing different things.
One of which is taking time to let students explore how we can change what we are doing in order to make it more effective for them.
Let me explain.