Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, December 4, 2011

All Education Matters: Debt (The Student Loan Crisis) and Suicide

All Education Matters: Debt (The Student Loan Crisis) and Suicide:

Debt (The Student Loan Crisis) and Suicide

I've written about and have been researching the relationship between student loan debt and suicide for well over a year. A fellow activist sent me this clip that dramatizes the crisis in a powerful way. Sadly, I heard from a mother recently who told me that her son killed himself in part because of the debt he owed. (More on that later).

In the meantime, check out this amazing short film. One person commented, "Fuck Sallie Mae!"

Quick Thanks: Your Remarks Regarding My Interview On The Brian Lehrer Show

I am glad that I was able to speak about the student lending crisis on The Brian Lehrer Show this past week. I want to publicly thank all of you who complimented my analysis of the situation. Interestingly enough, I almost missed the interview. That morning, I was feeling under the weather, so I slept in (that's not normal for me). However, I happened to check my email and saw that the show had written to me an hour earlier; they urged me to get in touch with them. So, I did just that, and minutes before the discussion about Occupy Student Loan