Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, December 4, 2011

A Chicago teacher on “Click Clack Moo.” « Fred Klonsky

A Chicago teacher on “Click Clack Moo.” « Fred Klonsky:

A Chicago teacher on “Click Clack Moo.”

Kati Gilson writes:

Fred,

I wrote an article for Chicago Teachers Union on using that book to teach working conditions, negotiating, collective bargaining and workers rights to my preschoolers. It was published in the June issue. If you don’t teach children their history they won’t know what to fight for in the future. I started this year’s lesson with the Civil Rights Movement with the current event of the Dr. King Memorial. My students know what a march is and a protest. They were shocked to learn that many years ago my teacher assistant and I couldn’t drink out of the same drinking fountain. At their young age they understand people want places to live, food to eat, doctors to go to when you’re sick and a job. Especially because many of our parents are unemployed. They know I go to