Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Daily Kos: I am fortunate

Daily Kos: I am fortunate:

I am fortunate

I did not grow up in a financially wealthy family, but we were solidly middle class, and when my mother returned to her law career when I was around 8 we had plenty of money for things to enrich our lives. My sister spent 7 and I spent 8 delightful summers at National Music Camp in Interlochen. We both had music lessons, her in violin and music theory, me piano and cello, and with outstanding (and expensive teachers). We saw Broadway plays, both dramas and musicals. We had painting lessons. We went out to dinner. We did not have to worry about paying for college.

I am also fortunate in having had a superb education. It began with the terrific public schools of Mamaroneck School System in Westchester County, NY. MY sister went to Sarah Lawrence, then later Bank Street College of Education, finally getting a law degree at Western New England. My college attendances are too numerous to list all, but I have degrees from Haverford, St. Charles Seminary and Johns Hopkins and reached ABD (with almost all of it paid for by a university scholarship) at Catholic U.

We may not always have been quite so fortunate in our personal lives, but sister has two wonderful children (and now two granddaughters) from her now ended marriage, and after a series of missteps I am now approaching the 26th anniversary of my marriage to Leaves on the Current, with whom I have been for 37 of my 65+ years on this earth.

This is not to brag. Rather it is to establish the background for my Sunday morning reflection, which is this - I have an obligation that I have still not fulfilled. What I have given you is the background. Below I will explain in more detail should you continue to read.