Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, November 28, 2011

Timothy D. Slekar: Opt Out Chronicles: Organizing and Bullying

Timothy D. Slekar: Opt Out Chronicles: Organizing and Bullying:

Opt Out Chronicles: Organizing and Bullying


In case you have forgotten, last year my wife (Michelle) and I decided to use Pennsylvania's opt out law to pull our son from the PSSAs (NCLB testing). It started with a very contemplative blogconcerning the real possibilities of opting my son out of testing and finished with an interview on FOX and Friends.

This year Michelle and I are attempting to organize a local opt out movement. We hope to enlist a significant number (6 percent) of parents. It is my belief that the most effective way to start a national "opt out" movement is by enlisting parents and children (locally) and actually "opt out." As I have said in the past, parents are the only ones with the power to stop high stakes testing and take our