Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Leading by Action - Arlington, VA, United States, ASCD EDge Blog post

Leading by Action - Arlington, VA, United States, ASCD EDge Blog post:

Looking Ahead

Leading by Action

This past Thursday morning I caught MassCUE President Leo Brehm posting a picture of Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick from the MassCUE conference at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough with the caption, “Thank you Governor Patrick for your support of MassCUE.” I quickly replied to Leo, “Ya got the gov doin the remarks?!” Without missing a beat, Leo replied, “We did.” Impressed, I replied, “I am so proud of you all! Makes all the ground work put in place the last decade seem even MORE worthwhile. YOU GO BOY!” Leo charitably replied, “You laid the structure Walter.” To which I answered in kind, “Thank you Leo. But your Board is realizing the full potential of what is possible through your good work. I am humbled to see the strides you have made!” This is indeed a study in organizational change.

When I was invited to join the MassCUE board years back, I was fairly new coming back to my home state and honored to be asked. I remember that first board meeting I attended suffering under the exhaustion of a group of tired veteran members, many who had been serving in some capacity for