Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Parent-Teacher Fun and Conferences « JD2718

Parent-Teacher Fun and Conferences « JD2718:

Parent-Teacher Fun and Conferences

I think I had 62 conferences. Most in… maybe ever?

Let me back up before I start the stories. I left my regular Bronx high school at the end of 2002. I’d always had five classes – but we never had tremendous parent turnout for conferences. Maybe once I had 35 between Thursday and Friday? And then I came to my new school, with much higher turnout. But our first year we only had 62 students. And our second my course load was reduced to three, as I was the programmer. And aside from an occasional extra class, and Spring 2008 when I had five – and Spring is always lighter than Fall – I have had three classes. And now, no more comp time, I have five regular classes, including most of our freshmen, who show up around 90%.

Good – 36 on Thursday evening (two and a half hours). That’s about four minutes per conference. Wrapped up with less than 10 minutes left. One parent had signed my sheet, but left (but has two of my kids). The longest