Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, September 2, 2011

Unions and school reform. « Fred Klonsky's blog

Unions and school reform. « Fred Klonsky's blog:

Unions and school reform.

Anthony Cody, an Oakland educator and organizer of the SOS March on Washington, has a regular column in EdWeek.

This week he hands it over to John Thompson who argues for teacher unions to be “focused as much on curriculum, instruction, assessment, and evaluation issues as on pay and hours.”

I’m a progressive teacher. And I take my progressive teaching ideas into the classroom and into the union, where I have been a local activist and leader for nearly 20 years.

I often recall having an on-going debate with Jo Anderson when he was IEA Executive Director and is now Senior Adviser to Arne Duncan.

Jo would argue that the fight for collective bargaining rights for teachers was no longer the main thing and that