Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A New Beginning For Philadelphia’s Schools « City School Stories

A New Beginning For Philadelphia’s Schools « City School Stories:

A New Beginning For Philadelphia’s Schools

Notes from the Field

Submitted by Frank Murphy on September 6, 2011

The start of a new school year has been an important event for me for most of my life. I have experienced the first day of school as a student, a teacher, a principal and a parent. Amazingly, on each of these occasions I have been filled with the same excitement, anticipation and hope that a new beginning can engender.

A new beginning …… that has always been what the start of another school year has meant to me. It is a time for renewal and hope that stems from the belief that you can simply start over one day and make your life better than what it was in the previous year. This is a notion that I know I share with many others.

We start this new school year as a district in turmoil. The public’s confidence in the ability of the School Reform