Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Why I'm Marching: For Rigoberto - Teacher in a Strange Land - Education Week Teacher

Why I'm Marching: For Rigoberto - Teacher in a Strange Land - Education Week Teacher

Why I'm Marching: For Rigoberto


It's been fun this week, reading all the "Why I'm Marching" posts.

People are marching for the new teachers they work with, for their education-focused families and for their grandkids. They're marching for better curriculum and instruction, for equity and fairness. A whole lot of people have made it plain that they're sick to death of ineffective and omnipresent testing. Others are angry that control over decisions that should be made in schools and classrooms are now handed over to "experts."

Simply looking at the child poverty statistics recently released should make it very clear that the past decade offederal power-grabbing in education policy has not addressed real causes, and has actually made the symptoms worse.

Plenty to get exercised about, plenty of advocacy work ahead.

But I'm marching, on Saturday, for a man I never met, and whose story burned in the public consciousness for a