Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, July 30, 2011

#SOSMarch We are in Washington to Save Our Schools and We Want Answers! - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher

We are in Washington to Save Our Schools and We Want Answers! - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher

We are in Washington to Save Our Schools and We Want Answers!

For me, the journey to today's Save Our Schools March started when I wrote an open letter to President Obamaraising serious questions about where we are headed with education reform in America. Those questions have still not been answered.

Yesterday I had a chance to ask Arne Duncan a question, after his "Working Toward 'Wow'" speech. What I asked him was this:

I worked in high poverty schools in Oakland for 24 years. The turnover rate for our interns is 75% after three years. Your proposal for the reauthorization of ESEA continues to label the bottom 10% of our schools as failures. Under these circumstances, who will choose to teach in these high poverty schools? Doesn't this contribute to the crisis in our profession?
Duncan.jpg

Though Secretary Duncan responded, I