Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Confessions of a Skeptic on Technology: Second Time Around | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

Confessions of a Skeptic on Technology: Second Time Around | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

Confessions of a Skeptic on Technology: Second Time Around

With an upcoming second anniversary of this blog I have been offering earlier postings that I feel deserve a second look. Confessing cleanses the heart and mind. In admitting error, I alert readers to my stumbles along the way to make sense of school reform and classroom practice, particularly when it comes to integrating new technologies into teaching and learning. this post was originally published January 31, 2010.

A quarter-century ago, I wrote Teachers and Machines: The Classroom Use of Technology since 1920. In that book I described and analyzed the history of machines deployed in classrooms (film, radio, instructional television, and the newly arrived desktop computer) to help teachers teach more, faster, and better. Then I did something foolish in the final chapter. I predicted future uses of the computer in classrooms from my vantage