Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, July 30, 2011

#SOSMarch To Secretary Duncan: The information you invited - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post

To Secretary Duncan: The information you invited - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post

To Secretary Duncan: The information you invited

This is a letter that was sent by two educators to Education Secretary Arne Duncan after Duncan called one of them, Principal Carol Corbett Burris of South Side High School in New York, to talk about school reform. You can read about the Duncan-Burris discussion here, and the open letter, here, that Burris had written to Duncan before his call.

In her retelling of the conversation with Duncan, Burris wrote:

“We spoke about the evaluation of teachers by test scores, and he listened to my concerns. He recognized the problems inherent in test-score based evaluation systems, especially when year to year comparisons are made. We agreed that evaluation is important. However, the devil is always in the details. He asked me to email him my ideas. I believe it was a sincere offer, and after I think about it, do some research, and speak with wise colleagues, I will.”

Read full article >>