Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, May 30, 2011

On my Bookshelf: Three Recommended Readings on Schooling, Creativity, and Dignity. | The Classroom Sooth

On my Bookshelf: Three Recommended Readings on Schooling, Creativity, and Dignity. | The Classroom Sooth

On my Bookshelf: Three Recommended Readings on Schooling, Creativity, and Dignity.

Happy unofficial beginning to summer 2011 from steamy Chicago! I think I have read more in this past school year, than in any of my previous years as a teacher. But with summer, comes new opportunities for rejuvenation through literature, and I hope to get some recommendations in the comments below. In turn, I recommend the following three books for summer reading:

For a better education system: The Death and Life fo the Great American School: How Testing a Choice are Undermining America (Diane Ravitch)

For a better understanding of ourselves: The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything (Sir Ken Robinson, Ph.D)

For a better, stronger, community: Dynamics of Organizing: Building Power by Developing the Human Spirit(Shel Trapp)

If the above titles are any indication, I am not much for fiction reading, yet all three authors are vivid story-tellers in their own right and keep the readers attention as they intertwine personal story with global relevance. While I leave the praise and scorn to the paid literary critics, but provide a little taste below as to why each of these