Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Kids Will Tell You | The Jose Vilson

The Kids Will Tell You | The Jose Vilson

The Kids Will Tell You


On Saturday, I had the honor of listening to eight teens from a high school in Harlem for about 1/2 an hour (it was the third of four stops that Saturday), hosted by Columbia University professor and Twitter associate Christopher Emdin. While I didn’t get a chance to sit for the whole conversation, I noticed the passion and candor from each of the students. Whoever would question our students’ ability to articulate their own needs should have sat next to me or any other member of the captive audience. These were voices unleashed, untamed, and, at times, brutal. However, I appreciated all of it because kids rarely get to express themselves in any academic setting