Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher

Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher

The Department of Education Cannot Unring the Bell Obama Struck

Last Monday, President Obama went off script at a town hall meeting, and in response to a question from student Luis Zelaya, offered us a vision for education. In 338 words, he made it clear that current Department of Education policy is way out of line with what he knows is best for his own daughters, and for students across the nation.

After I expressed this view in my blog Monday night, Justin Hamilton, a press secretary for Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, wrote to me and I then sent him four questions. On Friday he answered three of them, and today answered the fourth. in this post I offer my thoughts on his response to my last question.

To start with, I want to thank Justin Hamilton for responding to my questions. I know they have a lot on their hands, and I appreciate him taking the time to do this.

My final question was inspired by this statement from President Obama: