Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, February 25, 2011

A clarification on my outrage. Central Falls. « Fred Klonsky's blog

A clarification on my outrage. Central Falls. « Fred Klonsky's blog

A clarification on my outrage. Central Falls.

From Tom Hoffman:

It is a little difficult to keep the outrages straight, so I should probably update you on RI. The 100 Central Falls teachers have gotten layoff notices. 11 of these were laid off for performance reasons, which seems like a particularly ambiguous status, and I’m not going to speculate on even what it actually means legally. But otherwise, sending out a lot of layoff notices doesn’t necessarily mean they’re even contemplating laying off that many people. Basically, anyone who might get laid off in any scenario needs to be notified by March 1.

I’m not saying things are rosy in CF, and fiscally they’re going to get constantly worse now, because it is a small district that’s going to steadily lose enrollment to encroaching charters. Probably what will happen is that within