Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Remarks by Vice President Joe Biden to University Students in Nairobi, Kenya | The White House

Remarks by Vice President Joe Biden to University Students in Nairobi, Kenya | The White House

Remarks by Vice President Joe Biden to University Students in Nairobi, Kenya

Kenyatta International Conference Center
Nairobi, Kenya
10:58 A.M. (local)
VICE PRESIDENT BIDEN: Hello, my name is Joe Biden. I work for Barack Obama. (Laughter and applause.)
Now, I know no one in Kenya is familiar with Barack Obama, but I can tell you although for years as a United States senator, I had -- I was on a committee called the Foreign Relations Committee, the chairman, and did a lot of work relating to Africa, I hear about Kenya all the time from Barack Obama. He sends his love to you, not just your love to him. (Applause.)
And, Wangari, it’s an honor to be with you. I am very accustomed these days to hanging out with Nobel laureates. (Laughter.) I work for one, I get to meet one here, our Secretary of Energy is one -- I am feeling very, very insufficient not having a Nobel Peace Prize. (Laughter.) But it’s an honor to be with you, it genuinely is. (Applause.) Thank you so much.
You are one of the great treasures not only of your country and of the world, but you’re the embodiment -- in my view -- of what I’m going to talk about today, that is the human capital that this great country has to offer. And you are -- you are one of the great pieces of that capital. It’s an honor, again, to be with you.
Now, where is Professor Freida Brown, the Vice Chancellor of United States International? (Applause.) Freida, professor -- I want you all to know we have caused this beautiful woman a lot of concern. She has been the main person in making sure that my ability to speak here was made possible. I want to personally thank you for all the cooperation and all you do. (Applause.) Helping organize us at a speech is a very difficult thing to do, and I thank you very much, Professor.
Ladies and gentlemen, students, leaders, and friends -- I can’t tell you how much I appreciate being invited to speak before you all today. And I thank you for the warm welcome. And as I said, I bring greetings and love from