Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, June 13, 2020

"My Child Doesn't Like to Read" - Teacher Habits

"My Child Doesn't Like to Read" - Teacher Habits

“My Child Doesn’t Like to Read”


During the debate over Michigan’s third-grade reading law, I read this article that contained this quote from a mom: “My son doesn’t like to read. It’s hard to force him, but he does well in every other subject, so they should not be forced to stay back.”
And I agree that he should not be held back.
But how in the world have we gotten to the place where a mom can admit to a reporter, on the record, that her kid isn’t a very good reader because he doesn’t like it and it’s hard to make him?
I mean, I get it. I don’t like forcing my daughter to do things she doesn’t like, either. And sometimes, I don’t because some of the things I think are important aren’t actually that important. They’re just a reflection of my values.
But there are some things that are non-negotiable because they’re just too important.
She has to go to bed at a certain time because sleep is inarguably, scientifically-proven to be extremely important. And even if science CONTINUE READING: "My Child Doesn't Like to Read" - Teacher Habits