Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, March 31, 2017

Turtle Learning: March is nearly over and I didn't do anything for WOMEN'S HISTORY MONTH

Turtle Learning: March is nearly over and I didn't do anything for WOMEN'S HISTORY MONTH:

March is nearly over and I didn't do anything for WOMEN'S HISTORY MONTH



I was inspired when I saw this meme I guess it can be called of WOMEN IN STEM and "IT'S OKAY TO BE SMART"   And I began thinking about how the only subject I really loved as a young girl was science.  I wanted to be a scientist and later an Astronaut!   I know this love was influenced by my father who was on his way to becoming a doctor when the Depression hit and he had to go to work to help support his parents and siblings.   I do feel that I was born too early -- that young women today are much more likely to go into science than in my day.  I hope so!   So let's celebrate WOMEN OF SCIENCE for the end of Women's History Month.







http://www.itsokaytobesmart.com/post/114706927717/inappropriatelyadorable-awesome-women-in-stem?utm_medium=email&utm_source=html&utm_campaign=weekly_top_posts_subject_13&utm_term=post_114706927717  

Fred Klonsky blogger and artist - or rather -- artist and blogger - had a great blog today about Susan B. Anthony and Frederick Douglass - https://preaprez.wordpress.com/2017/03/30/donald-trump-doesnt-have-a-clue-about-susan-b-anthony-or-frederick-douglass/  







In a way it summarizes my feeling about racism and sexism and which shall disappear first. But it does imply that men got the vote -- ALL MEN -- before any women did.  Women are still relegated to the kitchen and the bedroom all over the world. And #45 is trying to bring all that back.

We have so much to fight for right now -- and while feminism isn't #1 for me, it certainly is high on the list.  But it has to be a feminism that serves all women, and not just bourgeois white women, which is what it has been in the past.   When Black Lives Matter embraces feminism we will have a fighting chance.

When we stand up for women everywhere -- in particular the continents where 
Turtle Learning: March is nearly over and I didn't do anything for WOMEN'S HISTORY MONTH: