Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

The Heart of Learning | Johnathan Chase | LinkedIn

The Heart of Learning | Johnathan Chase | LinkedIn:

The Heart of Learning

The Heart of Learning

I was recently singing along with my favorite Elvis Costello song; "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding?" and as the song finished my thoughts returned to education reform and I began to ponder; what's so wrong with more agency, mindfulness, and character development in the classroom?






"So where are the strong 
And who are the trusted? 
And where is the harmony? 
Sweet harmony.
‘Cause each time I feel it slippin’ away, just makes me wanna cry. 
What’s so funny ’bout peace love & understanding?"
Reading the lyrics above, I couldn't help but notice how relevant this song is when it comes to questions of character and the 2016 Presidential Campaign.
Donald Trump is living proof how important it is that our students learn to be empathetic citizens and develop emotional intelligence, so they will be ready to participate in constructive civic engagement as adults. 
Common Core fails to fulfill the "readiness" standards it claims to ensure for every student because it is more concerned with producing text-dependent The Heart of Learning | Johnathan Chase | LinkedIn: