Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, March 3, 2014

Doing a Snow Job On Educators: The V.A.M. Sham As It Relates to the Weather

V.A.M.: Value Added Measure:









Doing a Snow Job On Educators: The V.A.M. Sham As It Relates to the Weather
Originally, there was a large storm predicted for NYC today.  The meteorologists kept scaling down numbers until the storm diminished into something that could not even close schools on Long Island, let alone in Manhattan. Since I find some value in the Tao, I will simply go with the flow; but, as usual, I cannot help but find humor in it all, or some sort of irony.  Statisticians will have a fiel
With Data On Our Side (A Retake on Bob Dylan's "With God On Our Side," Written For Charles Barone of DFER, With Apologies)
There was recently a U.S. News "Debate Club" on the Common Core, involving personages such as Michelle Rhee of Students First and Dennis Van Roekel of the N.E.A.  It seems Charles Barone of DFER, an advocate of the Common Core, referred to it as the "Vietnam of educational issues" in some states, due largely, in his opinion, to its botched implementation.  Although I feel the C
V.A.M.: Value Added Measure: The Fine Art of Advertising Bad Teachers in N.Y.C.
V.A.M.: Value Added Measure: The Fine Art of Advertising Bad Teachers in N.Y.C.: The Fine Art of Advertising Bad Teachers in N.Y.C.When I decided to become a teacher, twenty some odd years ago, I realized that I wouldn't have the same clout as a doctor or as a lawyer; yet, I never imagined in a million years that my chosen profession--which seemed noble at the time--would become the butt of billbo