Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

1-8-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:





From The Archives: “Why schools should not grade character traits”
I’ve recently re-started an effort I’ve tried to do previously by regularly highlighting previous posts and articles I’ve shared in previous years that I think might be worth a second look. I wrote Why schools should not grade character traits for The Washington Post nearly three years ago. Here’s an excerpt:


“Universal preschool may help parents more than children — and that’s okay”
I think the evidence is more clearly positive in favor of the advantages of pre-school education for children than the author of the Reuters piece, Universal preschool may help parents more than children — and that’s okay, suggests. And, I’m not entirely comfortable with his somewhat condescending attitude towards poor parents. Nevertheless, I think he does make a good point that we proponents of

Starting Off The New Year With Even More Excellent Classroom Advice
A few days ago, I some excellent classroom advice from Marvin Marshall for the New Year. Here are a couple of more posts from him that are definitely worth reading: 3 Ways to Promote Responsibility 3 Practices that Enhance Learning
Pandas, Pandas, Pandas!
Here are some new additions to The Best Sites To Learn About Pandas: National Zoo Panda Cub Makes Her Adorable Media Debut is a TIME slideshow. I don’t think this next short video of the panda at the Toronto Zoo can be seen in an RSS Reader but, believe me, it’s worth clicking through to watch: Post by The Toronto Zoo.
Anyone Teaching A Class In Africa Where Students Would Like To Answer Our Questions?
I’ve previously posted about the series of videos my English Language Learner Geography class has been creating with questions for English classes in countries we’ve been studying. So far, we’ve done this short-and-simple process (we create a video, post them on our class blog, and then the other class creates videos responding to them — of course, we’re also open to answering questions ourselves
From The Archives: “Five Questions That Will Improve Your Teaching”
I’ve recently re-started an effort I’ve tried to do previously by regularly highlighting previous posts and articles I’ve shared in previous years that I think might be worth a second look. I wrote Five Questions That Will Improve Your Teaching for Education Week Teacher nearly three years ago. Here’s an excerpt:

1-7-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: Infographics About The World’s Different CulturesHere are new additions to The Best Sites For Learning About The World’s Different Cultures: Are you middle class? Defining the middle class around the world is from The Christian Science Monitor. by Lemon.ly. Explore more infographics like this one on the web’s largest inform