Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

1-7-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:





Infographics About The World’s Different Cultures
Here are new additions to The Best Sites For Learning About The World’s Different Cultures: Are you middle class? Defining the middle class around the world is from The Christian Science Monitor. by Lemon.ly. Explore more infographics like this one on the web’s largest information design community – Visually.
“Listening To Parents With Our Heads And Hearts”
Listening To Parents With Our Heads And Hearts is my latest Education Week Teacher post. This is the first post in a three-part series on parent engagement. Today, Katy Ridnouer, Janice Fialka, and Joe Mazza provide their guest responses

YESTERDAY

“The Best Articles Questioning The View That Single Parents Are A Problem”
The Best Articles Questioning The View That Single Parents Are A Problem is my latest “The Best…” list over at my other blog, Engaging Parents in School. You can see all my parent engagement “Best” lists here.
Must-Read Article About A Must-Read Study: “Can Upward Mobility Cost You Your Health?”
As regular readers of this blog, and as readers of my books, know, I’m a big believer in helping my students develop Social Emotional Learning skills like self-control and perseverance. For many reasons, though, I’m concerned about it being over-sold as a panacea for many of the challenges we face in schools, and have written about it fairly extensively in The Best Articles About The Study Showin
Pretty Amazing Video: “World War II in Europe: Every Day”
I’m adding this video to The Best Online Resources For Teaching & Learning About World War II (Part Two):
Video: How Bullies Are Made….
I don’t think I’d use this with students, but, as Greg Toppo said when he shared this on Twitter, it seems like a “spot-on take on bullying.” Because of that, I’m adding it to A Very, Very Beginning List Of The Best Resources On Bullying.
From The Archives: “Involvement Or Engagement?”
I’ve recently re-started an effort I’ve tried to do previously by regularly highlighting previous posts and articles I’ve shared in previous years that I think might be worth a second look. Today, I’m highlighting an article I wrote for ASCD Educational Leadership on parent engagement that built on work I wrote about in one of my books. It was published in 2009, and was titled Involvement Or Engag
The Best Posts & Videos On “Hope” — Help Me Find More
Recently, there been some public attention paid to the idea of helping students develop “hope” and also being able to measure it. I don’t know if I’m entirely convinced that it makes sense to treat this idea as a separate and distinct part of Social Emotional Learning (obviously, it’s part of so many other SEL elements), but I’ve got an open mind and am just beginning to look into it. I thought I
1-6-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: Excellent “60 Minutes” Video: “Volcanoes: Nature’s ticking time bombs”60 Minutes did an excellent segment last night titled Volcanoes: Nature’s ticking time bombs. I’ve embedded the video below, and it has additional resources at its website, including a transcript. I’m adding it to The Best Sites For Learning About Volcano