Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Reflections on Teaching » Blog Archive » Week in Class: Week Six 2013

Reflections on Teaching » Blog Archive » Week in Class: Week Six 2013:

Week in Class: Week Six 2013


number 6


Lots of good stuff going on but hard to find the time and energy to write about it. The times when things are going well are often the hardest to motivate myself to blog about. I spent some time out of the class at Common Core math trainings, and online time writing about CCSS ELA.

Going digital

I missed putting up a podcast for week 5, but made up for it this week, by including a class discussion. I had hesitated to record them because they seemed shy and not as forthcoming as prior classes, but the students really seemed to “kick it up a notch” being recorded, making me wish I had started this sooner. The recordings can be found here.

Silver lining, or?


One of the things I discovered in my training is that Common Core is emphasizing working with integers less in elementary and sixth grade (they may want more in fractions). As a result, my kids who have been using a text based on the broader and more aggressive California standards, have already been exposed to integers at the level they are now expected to know in sixth grade. We were finishing up a unit on integers, so I scaled back the test to the Common Core requirements. Only problem, the next chapter in the text is on algebra functions, and