Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Reassessments and Retakes: A Necessary Part of a School-Wide Grading Policy | Connected Principals

Reassessments and Retakes: A Necessary Part of a School-Wide Grading Policy | Connected Principals:

Reassessments and Retakes: A Necessary Part of a School-Wide Grading Policy

October 15, 2013
By 


“Lawyers who finally pass the bar exam on their second or third attempt are not limited to practicing law only on Tuesdays” – Wormeli, 2011
We allow people to retake their indexdriver’s license exam as many times as they need to in order to demonstrate competency. The same is true of other professionals such as teachers, lawyers, doctors, and electricians who are required to pass a certification/licensure exam. Reassessment is a part of our real world. I find it ironic, then, that as educators we cringe at the thought of allowing reassessments in the classroom in an effort to “prepare kids for the real world!” I held this belief until a few years ago when O’Connor and Stiggins (2009) and Wormeli (2011) helped set me straight. Reflecting back, I now cringe at the harsh reality that from 2001 to 2006 I sent hundreds and hundreds of students into the real world without the opportunity to reassess to solidify their learning.
At my school, Sanborn Regional High School in Kingston, New Hampshire, we believe in the concept of reassessments so much that we actually have a school-wide common procedure that supports 


Tips On Better Managing Requests
My first year as a school administrator, I was determined to be a leader who followed through on requests from teachers. What I didn’t anticipate was how many requests I would receive in a day. After a while, I began to learn to some habits that helped manage requests more wisely. So, here are some suggestions on how to prioritize so many competing demands: 1. Give up Your’Savior’Complex Don’t ma