Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Coop Goes to High School Part 2 – First Year | Lefty Parent

Coop Goes to High School Part 2 – First Year | Lefty Parent:

Coop Goes to High School Part 2 – First Year

September 15th, 2013 at 12:51
Pioneer HighContinuing from part one, this is part two in my attempt to recollect and record in writing my high school years which were so significant to me developmentally, not so much because of what I did in class, but what I did in my life beyond the schoolroom.
Pioneer high school was a big public high school with over 2000 students, one of two at the time in Ann Arbor, located on the southwest side of town about a mile and a half from my house. It was a sprawling building on an even bigger campus of lawn and parking lots looking more like a high-tech business campus than a typical high school. When I first entered to register for classes the week before school started the main hallway was broad and institutional with what I remember to be a polished formica or marble-like floor, nothing to give the place a sense of a human scale. The school was a string of buildings connected in an L-shape, maybe at least a quarter of a mile from one end to the other.
Registration included a long row of tables on the side of the broad main hallway of the school. Hundreds of newly enrolling kids were milling about