Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The real union haters. | Fred Klonsky

The real union haters. | Fred Klonsky:

The real union haters.

In a few days I will be heading for Atlanta, Georgia for the national convention of the National Education Association. The first three days I’ll be at the retired conference and then five days of debates over budgets and policies.
I’ve been doing this for twenty years. I can’t say it is fun. But there is a lot to like about spending a week with 10,000 union educators.
Although there are some who want to paint a picture of me as being disagreeable, I have voted with the majority of delegates more often than not.
I have had many disagreements for sure. And there is a structural dimension to the Representative Assembly that is both democratic and anti-democratic. You vote on everything and yet it seems not to matter in the long run. Hundreds of resolutions (New Business Items in NEA RA speak), but they have little relationship to what happens in the twelve months between RAs.
For all my disagreements with IEA leadership, they enthusiastically endorsed my proposal for an NBI supporting

Shame.

Untitled

Click on image to enlarge.


Primo talks about arts education, imagination and play.

Nine years ago Primo was born down the street. Then his family moved to LA.
Popout