Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Daily Kos: I am excited about my new teaching job

Daily Kos: I am excited about my new teaching job:

I am excited about my new teaching job

and i thought I might explain why, after spending some time in the school yesterday, and having been in electronic communication with several teachers today.  First let me note this:
I do not go on the payroll until mid-August
I am already doing work to plan and prepare for what I will teach
Just remember that the next time people tell you teachers only work 9 months a year!
Half of my students will be in AP US Government and Politics, a course I taught for 7 years before I retired.  This will be the first time since 2005 that I will not be the only teacher in the building with this course, and we are already planning to get together (next week) to do some brainstorming and co-planning.  It will be with a new book (which I do not yet have), and it will be in double period classes which meet every other day.  So it will be something new for me, which will keep me fresh.
But it is my other courses that are the real reason I am excited.
Follow me below the fold as I explain.