Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, May 13, 2013

Daily Kos: Something I think I finally understand

Daily Kos: Something I think I finally understand:


Something I think I finally understand

is that those who insist upon merit pay for teachers are themselves primarily motivated by money and have trouble grasping that for many people, while they want to earn a decent income and be able to support themselves and their family, money is not the primary motivation.
Among those for whom money is not the primary motivation are many who undertake military careers, those who serve as clergy in many denominations, social workers, those who work in Legal Aid, most of those who work for progressive advocacy groups, and - yes - the vast majority of us who teach.
I know my friends in monastic communities in Greece, France, and the United States would view those who have money as their primary motivation as sadly lacking in real humanity.
And I have to wonder how much we could reshape our society and culture if starting in our schools we emphasized more about caring beyond one's narrow circle and personal needs and how if we step away from the emphasis on money we could reshape our society into one in which not only would more people be happy, in general we would economically be better off, including in matters of health and economic security.