Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Roger would have given Squeezy Quinn a thumbs down. | Fred Klonsky

Roger would have given Squeezy Quinn a thumbs down. | Fred Klonsky:


Roger would have given Squeezy Quinn a thumbs down.


I can’t say I knew Roger Ebert personally.
imagesBut, as I wrote last week, I took two film classes with him. I had more than a few conversations with him.
And like many of you, I have watched him and read his reviews of movies and his comments on social and political issues for 40 years.
Roger Ebert wasn’t just an observer, thinker and writer.
Roger was in SDS in college at the University of Illinois.
He was a union rep at the Sun-Times.
By all accounts, Roger Ebert was a good and accessible man.
But from my experience and from what I have heard, he did not tolerate fools gladly.
So when Governor Squeezy Quinn spoke about Ebert at his funeral at Holy Name yesterday, there was more