Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Anti-Bullying Doesn’t Apply at Test Time – @ the chalk face

Anti-Bullying Doesn’t Apply at Test Time – @ the chalk face:


Anti-Bullying Doesn’t Apply at Test Time

test3The New York refusal movement is going extremely well, as students–with the support of their parents and friends–proudly stand against what they know is harming them.  They watch their classmates taking the tests and they know they made the right choice.  Students around the state are walking out of school defeated, exhausted, and disappointed.  The tests are literally beating them down: many have not been able to finish, which affects their scores; several have had to leave the classroom, due to exhaustion and anxiety; and parents are reporting their kids coming home and crying because they think their teachers are going to get fired because of their test performance.
It’s clear that there is too much abusive pressure put on those children, as the entire weight of the system lays on their shoulders.  It’s heartbreaking.  It’s nauseating.
But, what’s also disheartening is what this system has done to some who have chosen to opt out.  Here are some stories of how they are being treated.
One Central New York parent posted the following:
The teacher told the class they would receive a “special treat” on Friday if they used the strategies taught 


Hmm… Interesting. #LIriseup

From a parent:
Hello everyone :)
I sit here crying as I write this.
I was in such a good mood until I picked up my son from his school today.As I was driving on Merrick Avenue, with my 7th grade righteous boy, (my nickname for him because he can not tell a lie), he turns to me and said ” Mommy, I think you are right. Today Mrs.__________said that she hates the parents that “opted out”. She said that the “they” are going against our government and that “they” do not want to be part of America.”
I was floored. I went back to school and the Principal was standing outside. I had Adam repeat what he