Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, April 8, 2013

An Open Letter From The Trenches [To Education Activists, Friends, and Haters] | The Jose Vilson

An Open Letter From The Trenches [To Education Activists, Friends, and Haters] | The Jose Vilson:


An Open Letter From The Trenches [To Education Activists, Friends, and Haters]


martin-luther-king-arrested

To my fellow education activists:
I’ve come across a few pieces that concern me and others in the last few months, and we got some shit to talk about.
On normal days, I wake up at 5:30am hellbent on kicking butt at work, metaphorically of course. The stirring in my belly long after my butter toast and coffee is the passion with which I approach my students, whether or not they believe they’re ready to learn, or society thinks so for that matter. Despite the troubling nuances of advocating for a more holistic approach to assessment and schooling after work hours, I still have to work with the reality of keeping my job i.e. working with standards I didn’t write, administering tests I didn’t create, and yes, working in a system that consistently clashes with my ideals.
The key here is, whoever walks through my door, whenever, and however, I accept them. That’s how we build