Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Banda Speaks Out on MAP

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Banda Speaks Out on MAP:


Banda Speaks Out on MAP

The Superintendent issued this statement which has a few puzzlers in it.  My comments in red.

Dear Garfield staff and families:

I want to thank you for sharing your concerns about MAP assessments.  After careful consideration of what is in the best interest of all of our students across the district, I have asked schools to proceed with administering the MAP assessment as scheduled.  (I don't know if this means the administrators will give the test or if they are ordering the teachers and seeing what happens.  Update: checked with Communications.  They hired some subs to give the test but some administrators may be as well.)

I have met with Garfield High School staff on two separate occasions to listen to their concerns and the important issues they raise regarding the limitations of the MAP assessment. While I feel the teachers at Garfield are sincere in their efforts to postpone the administration of the MAP, I also have a strong obligation to