Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Failed DC Chancellor Michelle Rhee: My Break With the Democrats - The Daily Beast

Failed DC Chancellor Michelle Rhee: My Break With the Democrats - The Daily Beast:


Failed DC Chancellor Michelle Rhee: My Break With the Democrats

As a lifelong Democrat, controversial education reformer Michelle Rhee never thought she’d support school vouchers. Until she did. In Radical, she details her transformation.

The Ann Coulter of Right Wing Ed Reform

When I began my stint with the D.C. public schools, I had strong ideas about what education reform should look like and what it shouldn’t look like. I believed wholeheartedly that we had to have a very strong focus on teacher quality. I was also a believer in charter schools. I had seen their value when I served for a couple of years on the board of the St. HOPE Public Schools. I guess that was my first break with Democratic dogma. I knew that charter schools were anathema to teachers' unions. I also knew the best ones could serve children extraordinarily well.