Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, February 1, 2013

Ms. Katie's Ramblings: A Shout-Out to Education Activists

Ms. Katie's Ramblings: A Shout-Out to Education Activists:


A Shout-Out to Education Activists

This piece was originally posted at http://atthechalkface.com/2013/02/01/a-shout-out-to-education-activists/

There are times when I feel overwhelmed by my good fortune to know so many powerful parent, teacher, student, and community activists across the country and the globe.  We have come together through the fight against corporate education reform and the call for education justice, equity, and democratically-run schools.  I feel lucky to have met so many amazing people at the many rallies, sit-ins, community meetings, and education events happening across my city of Chicago.  I feel fortunate for being able to witness and take a small part in the inspirational Chicago Teachers Strike.  I feel blessed to know many of the people behind the scenes of that historic event.  I feel privileged to work in solidarity across the nation with activists standing up against excessive testingfighting for smaller classesspeaking out against corporate influence in education, and lending their expertise and voice to the struggle.   And today I feel honored to share a blog space with many of my education blogging heroes whose words tear down the false rhetoric of the education reform movement and inspire us to a new, equitable, and just vision of schooling.

As yet another School Choice Week comes to a close, I am again hit by the differences between